Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Vacation Read...

This week I am spending the Thanksgiving week on vacation at the Outer Banks in North Carolina.  For the first time, my family is away for the Thanksgiving holiday.  It is quite different from the many summers we have spent here.  We arrived on Saturday to bright beautiful sun but it was quite chilly.  Sunday was pretty cloudy with some rain and after a beautiful, sunny, 75 degree morning and afternoon yesterday, it has been raining ever since.  All this rain, however has allowed me to spend lots of time reading!  I LOVE reading but am not often able to get through a book during the school year!!  I brought three books with me this week.  The first one I received, as part of the Blogging for Books program. I signed up for Blogging for Books after finding out about it online.  I signed up, was able to pick a book that interested me, and received my book in three days.  I believe it was the day the book hit the shelves of book stores.  That was back in October...I have finally sat down to read it.  And plowed through it in a matter of hours.  It was that good.


The 13th Gift tells the true story of a grieving family at Christmas.  The author Joanne Huist Smith is also the narrator.  The family has had an understandably rough time, after the death of their husband and father in October.  They are broken and disconnected and facing their first Christmas without him.  Then 12 days before Christmas, the family starts receiving mysterious gifts on their doorstep. Each with a little note...like in the Christmas carol.

Without giving too much away, I will say that I really enjoyed this book's mix of mystery and heart. I was rooting for this family and am happy that in such heartache they found a glimmer of hope.  It also shows that there ARE good people in the world.  And a little kindness can go a long way.   I was happy with the way the story wrapped up and was sorry to see it end.  I know the book was autobiographical, but I do hope the author continues to write. I highly recommend this book...a great read for this time of year!!  And I think it'd make an awesome stocking stuffer! :)

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to continuing Blogging for Books!  Until next time!!

Have a happy Thanksgiving...enjoy family, good food and lots of laughs!!

Katie


*FTC Disclaimer- I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.  All opinions are my own.*

And in case you missed it...don't forget to enter the Style Me Bloggers giveaway for some Christmas Cash {HERE}!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love books...must check out this blogging for books thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun - I've always wanted to go to the Outer Banks. Have a wonderful vacation - and thanks for the book suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to read your book review. Will check this out on my Nook. Enjoy the beach. Even if it isn't exactly beachy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. I had forgotten about this book and review. Going now to add it to my Nook. Thank you for the reminder on today's blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments! They make me smile so big!